For students interested in a more in-depth experience in sustainable agriculture, MKG offers internships, both paid and for course credit.
MKG interns are involved in all aspects of food production from crop planning, seeding and planting in both the greenhouse and field, to marketing, harvesting, and selling of crops. Interns also assist with the garden’s two beehives.
- Current student at UVA enrolled in at least 12 credit hours.
- An interest in learning first hand about sustainable agriculture. No farming/gardening experience is required.
- Attention to detail, good listening, and communication skills.
- The ability to work both as part of a team and independently.
- Good physical fitness: ability to bend, kneel, and stand for several hours. You should be able to safely lift 50 pounds.
- The ability to work outside under various weather conditions including heat, humidity, cold, and rain. Have a tolerance for bugs, “getting dirty”, and sweating.
- Transportation to and from the garden.
For Credit Internships
MKG is enrolled in the UVA Career Center’s Internship Placement Program (IPP). Through the IPP program, we offer for credit internships year round:
- spring semester,
- fall semester, and
- academic year (fall & spring semesters).
To see our current IPP listings, please visit UVA Handshake and search for “IPP/Morven Kitchen Garden”.